A Tale of Two Tragedies: The Pact

In ancient times there was a glorious city of despair. It contained temples grander than those of ancient Jerusalem, harbors more active than those of ancient Athens, and gardens more wondrous than those of ancient Babylon. Yet it also contained two families whose singular objective was the annihilation of the other. Its glorious architecture fell into disrepair as their unremitting feud tore at the societal fabric which bound their achievements together. Our story begins fifteen years after the birth of two children. To the patriarch of Ellopos was born Alexander who was called the Great. To the patriarch of Eham was born Issac who was called the Prophet. For decades, these two families committed horrible atrocities upon their neighbors, and the city in which they lived was in constant conflict because of their feud. In this atmosphere the two children grew up, never realizing that they would restore the city.
Dusk is settling upon a lake near the outskirts of town. Alexander, sixteen, sits deep in thought.
Alexander: The world is fair; beautiful and wondrous, but my uncle's death had me seeking solace at the temple. He doted upon me when I was young and I loved him. Now his children weep for him and I too contain an ocean of sorrow. The gods spoke to me as I reflected upon the melancholia of death, but they speak in riddles. They demanded that I meet a man and so I await whom the gods will send. I am strained by the question, “Who could it be?” for they do not share their true thoughts. A tenseness pervades my being for they withhold crucial knowledge. I follow their order but remain conflicted upon action. Now I see someone approaching, creeping quietly towards our meeting point, and myself. Perhaps it is my ill fated partner, but it is dangerous to assume too much in these days. I’ll wait quietly and patiently, but with naked steel.
Enter Issac
Alexander: (cries out) “Stop! Not so near. Why have you come to this spot?”
Issac: “For the same goal as you, though in reason we differ. It would be clearer to say that I have been told to come and to arrive at this spot, to meet another. Is it the same for you?”
Alexander: “Yes, and now let us know each other, step closer.”
Issac approaches
Alexander: Enemy!
Issac: Adversary!
Alexander: Let my advantage, my drawn sword, allow me to end your life.
Issac: My blade is already in hand
They fight
Alexander: I am trained in its use, and I see you are too. Attack again.
Issac: I shall, I see you shall not.
Alexander: My sword pricks your shoulder but you do not fluster.
Issac: You are inexperienced and so am I, yet I do not fear.
Issac knocks the sword from Alexander's hand.
Isaac: Despite my ignorance I have succeed in my intent: victory but not death.
Alexander: Do not kill me, mercy please.
Isaac: You lack conviction, that I know. Though there is no fate, you were lost the moment I came upon you. Do not think ignorance can rescue you from our mission. As you said, together we venture on a quest of Godly significance. So quit your squeals for mercy. Here, take my hand.
Isaac: Now be quiet. If someone heard our quarrel then your rashness has already betrayed us.
Alexander: I can not hear anyone over the shame in my heart, and the beating of my blood in my head.
Isaac: There is nothing except the wind in the trees and the ripples across the pond. Do you remember we have a mission from God? If you have forgotten then there is no need of you.
Alexander: I remember.
Issac: And do you agree to disregard all enmity between us? For I can not trust someone of your lineage who will not swear to be bound in blood. I only spare you for this reason.
Alexander: I swear, though I stand firm against your threats.
Isaac: You shiver like the leaves on a tree.
Isaac: Do you hear your calling?
Alexander: It crushes me to even think of it. If you proclaim yours without doubt I will find it in my heart to repeat the same.
Isaac: God spoke to me and I will not disobey. “The city is rotten,” He said, “and the core is the patriarchs of the house of Alexander and Isaac. The atrocities of your parents shall lie upon you when they pass away unless you follow my command. For their transgression you must slay your family. I will send a companion who will assist you.” This is what He said to me and it is how the world must turn.
Alexander: Since you have recounted yours in good faith, I shall do the same. I too spoke to the gods. They came to me and said, “Your father has committed mayhem in our name and worked crimes upon us. The curse we shall lay on your house shall trouble all his progeny for time eternal. But you may cure this illness with a medicine of the gods. Grind your family to dust and all will be well for you and the city.” Why me, I said to them, and they replied, “It must be you, for if another slew your family, it would require revenge, and the problem of avenging death upon death would be an unending cycle. You shall bring peace to the city by your actions.” When I realized that all avenues of appeal were closed I came here to meet the companion they promised me. Alone I will be incapable of acting.

Isaac: You seem to be hesitant about your works. Your hands move uneasily and you mention an attempt to avoid your duty.”
Alexander: I am afraid of the outcome of my actions.
Isaac: How can you fear? God will steer the faithful securely through any storm. We will complete our task, for God’s works must be done through man. We must begin our planning otherwise we will see no progress.”

To be continued...
Recent:

Relevant:

Comments