Dota 2: Are the Trenches Real?

 Perhaps it surprises no one that I have decided to abandon Disgaea: PC. Though it tried to emphasize its deeply engrossing dialogue, the lack of detail in combat, combined with a story going nowhere (and an unnecessary amount of grinding), has ultimately bored me. With thirty-seven hours invested, I believe I am about two-thirds done. Yet for some, the incalculable time which can be sunk into it, to level items, heroes, and transformed heroes, will enthrall players.

Next week we'll be taking a look at Braid, a fabulous indie game from 2008. But to provide a little more time for me to complete it, lets talk about something else.

This here is a bit of a sob story. I have a ... friend, who has spent a fair amount time learning the game Defense of the Ancients 2 (maybe I've mentioned of it before). The impetus to try Dota overrode my internal resistance to the genre of the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena). Coincidentally recommended by a student the same day I watched a pro-game featured on the Steam client, these events exposed the faint lingering memory of playing Dota as a custom map in Warcraft 3. Specifically, I remembered how abysmal I was, but beyond my failure, the mechanics remained forgotten. Intrigued I decided to try one game (Yes, I know I was pretending this was about a friend, but that was too convoluted to write, and no one is deceived by that ploy).

At first, the enthralling enchantment of Dota stemmed from the novelty of something new, but after a few dozen games, the variety, the myriad possible combination of heroes (112 currently), builds, and items (at least a hundred, though that includes consumables, aegis, and couriers), led to an eager engagement, and a desire to understand the collection of mechanics. Dota became a challenge, with so many moving parts, a variety of elements which could never be replicated, even over a thousand experiences. Unfortunately, while the thrill for mastery remains, this has been diminished by the desire to climb the ladder (metaphorical). In 2015 Valve debuted ranked matchmaking, and my desire to improve in skill (an intangible) was superseded by the craving for quantifiable advancement (victories(.
The specific rank I achieved, or failed to achieve, doesn't matter. But over a period of time, I my numerical value improved. Oddly, interestingly, curiously, it was in four successive burst. After I hovered near my original calibration value for an extended period, I experienced a sudden burst of success, before plateauing. This pattern repeated itself three times. Finally, it seemed as if had come to rest, unable to advance further. Content with my achievement, I remained at this level tier for nearly as long as the others combined. But then, finally, in a quick series of victories, I advanced again. Ecstatic and invigorated, I decided to push forward, no longer satisfied to remain at any plateau. But without warning, without reason, shortly thereafter, I fell, as if I had flown to close to Ember Spirit, down three of the four tiers I had ascended. In three months I wiped away three years worth of advancement.

Smart players tell themselves that Dota is game which requires one to learn, and success comes from that learning. If that is true, then something happened. And the question is, how is it possible, to fall so far?

I've considered a few possibilities.

In December Valve updated Dota with patch 7.00. Significantly different in terrain and heroes, I actually wrote a post about it. It made some skills, such as lane pulling, insignificant, while introducing hero talents. Though I'd survived and thrived on changing patches, perhaps I've been unable to grasp something crucial which has shifted.

It is also certainly true, that after I dropped one tier, and continuing to falter, I've become incredibly susceptible to tilting. Mistakes, which I previously brush aside, affect my ability to continue.

Another theory: the denizens of r/Dota often debate the existence of trenches: that ranked matchmaking is composed of a series of tiers, and it is difficult to move from one to another. No one is quite able to describe what causes them. My hypothesis: each trench encourages a behavior which succeeds only in it, replaced by a different behavior in the next trench, with each strategy only viable for the appropriate trench.
Of course, the best players, playing a different game all together, supersede the learned behaviors of the individual trenches. But the average player, slowly climbing the ladder can only proceed by careful study, taking the best of each trench and advancing to the next. Based on my experience, these sections are roughly 300 mmr across, from edge to edge (a victory in each game is worth +25 mmr, a loss -25. Players arbitrarily celebrate the thousand point achievements, 1k players, 2k, etc).
A player of Dota believes they are learning, certainly not anything of significance, but then to discover it was an illusion, a strange chance of circumstance. And now having vanished in a sudden burst, leaving disappointment and dissatisfaction, where before there was at least the enjoyment of a difficult game, the player is left questioning, what went wrong? Did a patch change the viable skills and strategies? And if so, how does one catalog their skills? Do pro players have a list of activities, or a internalized, vague guide? Do they notice when a skill they've spent years perfecting, is no longer relevant to the game? These questions trouble me, for I have no definitive list, only a vague guideline.

A final thought is that, sometime, quite recently, the player base improved. (or the favorite, unreasonable fallback: my allies always idiots).

I used to be disappointed by the disconnect of how well you played, and the final result. It's what comes from a 5 v 5 game, in which each player is alone. Winning when you performed terribly (yet were carried by the team), felt almost as demoralizing as crushing a game, but losing because one's team failed to follow up. Recently, (and I admit this is undoubtedly not true) I've felt as if every win has required a herculean effort, as if my team loses every lane, except the one I'm in. Players seem less likely to cooperate (though to be fair, that's always been a significant issue of Dota).

So why do I consider continuing?

Its for The Play. While watching pro games was only a minimal influence on beginning Dota, it has ensured my continued fidelity. While I'll never be a pro, the intricate dance of the coordinated teamfight, and the game turning, mind blowing play, which brings a team back from the jaws of defeat, is the magic that keeps me enthralled.

Until it doesn't.

Comments