Dota's Battle Cup: A Game Altering Experience

Ever since Valve introduced the Compendium (their esports program) for the Dota 2013 International, they've continually refined and improved the concept. When Valve revealed the Major Season, a Valve sponsored premium event for each season and culminating in the already existing International, the company continued their goal of professionalizing Dota. But the introduction of the Battle Cup during this year's International altered how everyday players experience the game.

Dota, except for professionals, is played in a series of unconnected games. Each game a player interacts with a different nine other players. While Dota is a game which requires adroit in-game skills, of equal importance is communication, and playing with different people each game prohibits coordination.

Most experienced players have a conscious set of goals and a way they prefer to play. Some players prefer to farm, others aim to kill heroes. Some play aggressively, while others prefer safer play. When five anonymous players come together they don't know what to expect from each other, and are unwilling to share their strategies, or even unwilling to talk. Most commonly, they insult the other team when winning, and their own when losing.

And then you never see them again.

Battle Cup attempts to bring players together, so they can experience a truncated professional tournament. During the summer, Valve allowed players to form teams and compete in a three round, single elimination tournament. Players immediately turned to their friends to form teams. I did as well, asking someone who I had played with recently if he needed a support player. And during the summer I played three Battle Cups, but was eliminated in the first match of each. Every time we played with a different group of people, and the disperate pieces never formed a whole. Everyone still acted as if they were five solo players intent on doing their own thing. In one game, a teammate even said the game was lost before we finished picking our heroes.

As the summer came to an end, Valve said it was shutting down Battle Cup, and r/Dota went wild, requesting it as a permanent feature. Valve didn't respond, and Battle Cup ended, but when they introduced the Compendium for the Fall Major (in Boston), it was reintroduced.

So last weekend I made another attempt. Instead of partnering with the same people, I looked on Reddit. In the Dota subreddit, mods had created a Help Wanted page, where players looking for a team could list their skills, and teams looking for players could explain their needs. After posting my qualifications I received four teams interested in my services. After reviewing their stats, I chose the one I thought best.

It was my best Dota experience ever.

Though I still don't know how my four teammates met, everyone seemed friendly, communicative, and helpful. Even though we fell behind in our first and third game, and almost threw our second, everyone remained reasonably calm and encouraging. And when we were in danger of losing, the team evaluated the situation, and altered the plan if needed.

During the drafting phase, where teams take turns banning and picking heroes, everyone voiceed their opinion, the captain listened to the input, and picked heroes the players felt comfortable with. While there wasn't a discussion of strategy before or between games, players were open about their goals during the games. I felt that after three games I was able to observe each player's individual strategies, identify their strengths and weaknesses.

Our mid player preferred farming over pushing or fighting, and did it well. Even though he suffered a significant number of pick offs in the first ten minutes of each game, he farmed well and was instrumental for victory. I'll take a bit of responsibility for not protecting him enough. And as he became more powerful he became more aggressive, diving much too deep for my under-farmed Shadow Shaman to come to his assistance. If I play with him again, blink dagger needs to be a priority for me.

Our carry was also an excellent farmer, but played much less aggressively. Sometimes he was overcautious, especially when he was the initiator in the second game as Faceless Void. But in our first and third game he carried us to victory with his massive networth and good team-fighting abilities.

The roaming support did a great job securing us vision and pickoffs, but sometimes was out of position and died needlessly. In teamfights he was good at creating space, separating the enemy and ensuring the rest of us space to fight.

(Note: I didn't develop a strong impression of our offlaner, but considering he had the best KDA (kills+assists/deaths) as an offlaner, he played amazingly.

And I believe I did well, but I wish I had someone to offer a critique of my performance. In all three games I played Shadow Shaman, and in retrospect it seems a weak pick for the type of game we played. Shadow Shaman is strong early, especially at destroying towers. But we played a defensive game, content to farm and push slowly. So I often felt as if there wasn't much I could do. In addition, I am competent at providing vision for my team through warding, but deficient in denying the other team by dewarding. It's a skill I need to work on.

Today I played my first solo game since the Battle Cup, and its like returning to asdasdasdasd. I tried to communicate with the other four strangers, but no one replied. We each wandered about the map, dedicated to implementing our individual strategies. Like a group of lost strangers wandering in circles in the woods, we occasionally crossed paths often enough to collaborate, after an objective we separated again.

Dota has been totally been changed for me after just a three game tournament, and I'm not sure its a good thing. Sure, the tournament allowed me to experience the game as the developer intended it, but now I view all solo games as inferior, just a shadow of the real thing.

Next week we return to Thief: The Dark Descent.




Comments