The Misinterpretation of the Skull

March 15, 2983

A month ago at the Carriage dig site, I happened across an incredible discovery. I'd decided to reexamine the the southwest corner of the Grotto Stream, though many of my colleges had abandoned it in favor of the excavation by the Painted River.

As I was traversing the imitation bamboo grove, a protected natural area, I stumbled over a discrepancy in the soil. With a bit of careful digging I discovered, under the shade of broad leaves, the remnants of a cinder block cellar. It had collapsed, whether as a result of the Incident, or afterwards, and I dug more eagerly in search of remnants of a past society hidden and protected from weathering by rubble.

I should have sought assistance, but my excitement overwhelmed my senses, and in a fervor I eventually unearthed a number of well preserved artifacts from before the collapse. It wasn't until six days had passed that I finally felt comfortable inserting my entire body into the rough excavation. There, with a portable light, a brush, and a shovel, I made a great discovery.

As I looked around, my light glinted upon something in the dull dirt. Carefully, gently, I brushed away the fine debris and saw a shard of creamy white. With a tentative finger I reached forward and touched a distal phalanx of a pre-Event skeleton.

Normally, I would have shared such a spectacular find unhesitatingly, but absurdly this discovery amplified my artificial sequestration in my well carved cave. At the office, I made every effort to act normal, and if any colleagues noticed my withdrawal they didn't mention it.

At long last I disinterred the upper bodies of a man, woman, and two children. Although the condition of their skeletons was immaculate, there was one discrepancy. The man's head was missing, and I couldn't imagine the reason, and this incongruity enhanced the aura of mystery within my den. I worked a few days in expanding the area, searching for this article which had abdicated its duty. At last I discovered its hiding place, recessed under a crumbling cinder block which had fallen long ago from its foundation.

When I first peered under the block I stumbled back in surprise as it sat, perfectly positioned, hollow eye sockets staring into my own astonished corneas, as if waiting to greet me. Unceremoniously seated, we faced each other across the dirt floor and a millennium. At last, without hesitation, for we were already fast friends, I reached into his shelter, and drew him out for a better introduction.

The first thing that struck me, of this ancient man, was his mouth. Even today, in the midst of our golden renaissance of history and science, our anthropological studies are still in disarray. How did our ancestors live their daily lives prior to the Occurrence, how did they care for themselves?

This man seemed, at the time of his death, to be in modest health, and yet oddly unconcerned with his tooth structure, though our enlightened scientists now believe properly maintained teeth are a key component for a healthy life.

As I explored his face, I noticed the upper jaw was subtly but significantly smaller than the lower. I can only imagine that such an obvious defect went unnoticed by those incompetents of an earlier era.

If only he had known …. If only there were some observer capable of recording the then and now, such a being would relate these following vignettes which correspond and contradict the archaeologist's thoughts...

A young boy sits in an orthodontist's chair with his mother beside him, “You see,” a man in a pure white coat says to them. “His upper jaw is too diminutive. We need to install a palate expander.”

The mother nods along, while the boy looks anxious. He's too afraid to ask, “Will it hurt?” but the orthodontist comforts him anyways. “Don't worry, it won't cause any pain.” It does. And after six months its removal brings relief, and the boy repeatedly forgets to wear his retainer because it's uncomfortable.

….

I felt unbearably drawn to this skull from another age, seeking the answers it might offer to questions we hadn't even imagined. I held the jawbone against the base of the skull, and observed the satisfying click, but the discrepancy between the alignment of the teeth between the upper and lower jaw. With the jaws closed, they left a full centimeter gap from between the upper and lower incisors and I wondered what sort of society, what sort of parent would fail to aid their child's deformity.

….

The same boy, a few years older, and wiser about the actions of adults, but still woefully ignorant and unable to plan for the future, sits again in the orthodontist's chair, as the metal wires are wound around anchors cemented to his teeth. Again he is assured, again there is pain, again, after their removal, he neglects his care. What is the cause but measures of indifference, ignorance, and annoyance. Not ingratitude.

….

With a final glance, I noted where the gums had begun to withdraw from the crooked teeth, and again I lamented those who had failed this child, this man.

….

“It's nothing unusual at your age, and won't significantly impact your health. After chewing on misaligned teeth for twenty years, a bit of receding gums on the higher stress areas is perfectly normal.”

“It's not serious?”

“No, and there isn't much you can do at this point. There are expensive treatments but I wouldn't recommend them, unless it worsens significantly.”

“Thank you for your time.”

….

At last I put the skull down, and leaned back, satisfied that I understood my new found friend as well as anyone alive could. With this final thought, the passion which had seized me, relented, and I realized it was time to tell everyone about my secret discovery, so I might relate to my colleagues and the world, the injustices of our progenitors.

I turned, and began to crawl out, but I felt the need to turn and look one time more upon my vault before others entered.

I saw the skull, and and it grinned at me with its hollow lopsided smile as sharing some secret, or was it still withholding a truth I couldn't comprehend?

Recent:

Relevant:

Comments