A Whale of A Tale

“Let me tell you a story. A story of the day I learned I was special.”

….

“And so, dolphins and whales are conscious breathers.”

Samantha raised her hand.

“Yes?”

“Mr. Lanza, what does that mean?”

Mr. Lanza smiled at his sixth grade biology students, who, he realized, were having a spot of difficulty understanding an attribute they themselves did not possess.

“Would anyone like to help Sam?” he asked patiently.

He watched the classroom carefully, pleasantly and finally noticed Jonas, an unusually quiet, inelegant, yet enthusiastic student, seemingly engaged in an internal struggle. Normally hasty in his recitation of an answer, Jonas was battling a soulful torment.

Normally circumspect around hesitant students, Mr. Lanza was so intrigued by this development, that without intending too, a whispered “Jonas” slipped from between his lips. A crash followed his momentary error, and the whole class, even those previously in a state of apathetic unconsciousness, observed Jonas rising from the floor where he'd collapsed. Standing beside the upturned desk he said rushedly, eyes staring straight at the ground as if drawn by the force of gravity, “It means they have to think to breath. They have to actively decide to breathe. They have to think, 'breathe' and then they breathe.”

“Exactly right, Jonas, though those three answers were redundant.”

Mr. Lanza prepared to continue onward, uncovering new treasures for his students to discover and explore, when he realized Jonas was still standing, but with a transformed bearing. When Mr. Lanza looked at him, their eyes met, and he could not turn away from Jonas' determined gaze.

“Mr. Lanza,” said Jonas, “Are there any other animals, beside dolphins and whales, which are conscious breathers?”

“That,” replied Mr. Lanza, “is an exceptional mind you've got there, and an intriguing question. That's the sort of inquiry worthy of research. Everyone, for tomorrow, conduct a search to see if there are, or ever were other conscious breathers, or write a one page paper, imagining what life would be like if one compell the lungs to functions.”

….

Imagine, he'd asked us. I didn't need to. I'd been living with this problem all my life.

No, that isn't quite right. I can remember a time when I didn't suffer this affliction, but don't recall when it began.

I can apprehend your difficulty. You, the reader, just like my classmates in sixth grade, can't comprehend the extent of my disability. The written word is the source of this miscommunication between us. When communicating by written word a facet is neglected, the simple act I perform every three seconds draws my attention, distracts, and detracts from my ability to interact with the world around me. Do you know, the average human breathes twelve to eighteen times per minute, with three point three seconds to five seconds between each breath? For the last three two years I've chosen to regulate my breathe toward the faster end of the spectrum, as a safety precaution, but I wasn't always this way. During my teenage years I rebelled, tried to control it, modulate it, and breath every six seconds. It was an experiment which ended in capitulation to my condition.

….

“Jonas, wake up, wake up Jonas,” a vague shrilling shriek draws me out of a pervading warmth which rapidly devolves into an arctic chill, like being rescued from a frozen lake. I feel tight and loopy at the same time, and

“You're blue Jonas, Jonas, your not breathing...”

She continues on, but I her words have explained my situation and I remedy it immediately. Of course, in the dark, comfy in my bed, only a mother would notice a lack of lack of movement in the chest. She's still hysterical, but I'm already beyond her overwrought ravings, and resetting my internal safeguards, and repeating, silently, breathe. Though I need to think to breathe, I've been able to sleep, by tenaciously maintaining a fragment of consciousness. I briefly console her, before turning over to sleep.

….

I need remind you again of the everyday difficulties this penalty inflicts. My writing is easily read, it doesn't convey the haltingness with which it was typed. Communicating in a face to face conversation is an incredible challenge. Though no one knows my malady, those who've talked to me, will describe my distraction, my stumbling speech. It's because breathe every sentence breath comes out of my mouth breath with the …. and the me writing this sentence has already forgotten its purpose, where it began and its proposed outcome.

The other day I called customer service person from my local internet provider. I bet you despise these tedious, frustrating calls, but imagine trying to assemble the inanity, while a single word clangs repeatedly through the mind, like a personal, internal ambulance siren.

….

“Hello sir, what may I do for you today?”

“I'd like to call, breath, about my latest bill.”

“Let me, breathe, bring that up for you, breath, what is your social, breathe, security number, address, breathe, phone number, and, breathe, account number?”

“Could you repeat, breathe, those for me, just, breathe, one at a time?”

You see, not only does my disorder affect my ability to speak, but to discern the speech of others.

Part of me, can see it in my sleep, the seven letters, I repeat endlessly, lit up like a neon sign, framed by a void of blackness. Do you want to understand? It's safer to ignore my ravings, but if you're inclined, take out a piece of paper, (or a a keyboard and a word processing unit, which ever is easier), and compose the six sentences about your day, with only one rule, every time you breathe you have to write that as well. Do it!

You'll have noticed two things (and if you haven't I'll pick them up, and bring them closer so you can properly perceive them). One, the first time you do this exercise, you probably didn't notice every time you breathed. If there is more than a few words between each “breath” you know you, messed up. But if you're unlucky, you'll get a true glimpse into my hell. A friend who tried this exercise couldn't rid themselves of the feeling. They said, they felt as if they had been transformed into a conscious breather.

And perhaps that's why I tell my story. For I am lonely, as few are (though we are all lonely in our own way), and like all creatures seek company. And so, I seek to create others like me, to create a community, to which I can belong.

Recent:

Relevant:

Comments